Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Roseola is back!

Last week, Marie got sick. She had a fever all weekend and threw up several times. I thought she had an ear infection so I took her to Liane and Jason's house to have Jason check her ear. Liane said he could diagnose one, even tough he's an anesthesiologist, not a pediatrician. We went over late in the evening on Sunday. Marie barfed all over Liane's rug in the family room. Then, Jason took a look at her ear and said it looked fine.

Well, she was still feverish on Monday so I decided to take her to her pediatrician. I began by saying, "I know she doesn't have an ear infection because my brother-in-law is a doctor, and he checked her out." The doctor looked in her ear and said, "She has an ear infection. What kind of doctor is your brother-in-law." I had to admit his specialty area at that point. I felt like such an idiot. Well, she prescribed amoxicillin and sent me on my way, but she also said to do the nebulizer again because she could hear phlegm in her chest. I HATE the nebulizer!

On Monday night, she started breaking out in a rash, and I was worried that she was having an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. I called the doctor's office, and they wanted to see her the next morning. On Tuesday, she had broken out in the rash everywhere, and I had my diagnosis: roseola. I'm a pediatrician now. I took her to the doctor, but she only confirmed my original diagnosis. Therefore, we added Benadryl to her medicine routine. Poor little girl...she got hit by everything at once.

Will is the only one who hasn't gotten roseola yet. I'll probably have an entry next week about his breakout. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Contributors