Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 21, 2010

Bilingual Babies

Since I speak to the kids only in Spanish, but Billy and Michele (our nanny) only speak to them in English, people always ask me if the kids speak more Spanish or English, and I would say it's about 50/50. This weekend, as we were riding to my dad's house, we had a perfect illustration of that.


We passed over the Chattahoochee, and there was some construction on one side of the street. They all pointed at the river and said, "agua." Then, they turned their heads and saw the trucks, and started yelling "trucks." As we drove away they said, "Adios, agua. Adios, trucks." Then, they asked me for "mas trucks." I told them we would see more as we got closer to Papa's house (I explained it in Spanish), and Will said, "Papa home." It's a bit of Spanglish, but they are getting it.

I can ask them to do anything in Spanish, and they do it. Billy can make the exact same request in English, and he'll get the same response. I'll ask, "Como dice el gato?, " and I'll hear a chorus of "meows." Billy will ask, "What does a cat say?," and he will hear the same noises. They know it both ways. It really is amazing!

No comments:

Contributors