Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Floppy Neck Syndrome

Abby went to the doctor last week to have her neck looked at because we just felt she wasn't gaining head control very well. A couple of people also mentioned "torticollis" to us, which is a condition when a child (or I guess a person) favors holding his/her head in one direction, and the muscles become weak and/or stiff. Then, the child can't turn his/her head the other way. It turns out, Abby has a mild case. Therefore, we have to do exercises with her daily, and she starts physical therapy this week. Billy is taking her on Wednesday morning so I guess we'll have a better idea of what to expect after that.

We also talked to our nurse about Abby's night-time crabiness, which continues. We decided we would try some different formulas to see if there is a lactose issue...like mother, like daughter. I had to cut dairy out of my diet, which was no big deal because I don't regularly have much dairy. Typically, I have milk in my cereal and maybe some cheese on a sandwich here or there and a yogurt everyday. Anyway, she tried one formula for about 5 days, and it didn't do much. That one is a reduced lactose formula. Now, she is on a soy-based formula for the next 5-7 days. If that one improves her night spells, we'll stick with it. If not, there is one more kind to try.

The only part that sucks is that it blows to have them on different formulas. When I make their night bottles (that's the only time they get formula-9 pm to 6 am), I have to label all of Abby's and make up 2 different batches. As if my life isn't complicated enough, I have to add one more thing to it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

How cute, physical therapy for a newborn! I am picturing her lifting tiny free weights... I hope you find the right formula for crabby Abby!

Contributors