Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, August 21, 2009

Belated thank yous

Having triplets takes a toll on your body, but what really gets me is the effect it has had on my mind. I just don't have it all quite "together" yet. I think it's because I'm constantly thinking of a million things...the kids, Billy, my job, my dissertation, what I'm going to make for dinner, how long since I did laundry, who's taking a baby this weekend, etc., etc. When your thoughts are split in a million directions, some things end up slipping through the cracks. A while ago, I discovered a major slip that I feel badly about, but I'm sure it won't be the last time something like this happens.

After the kids were baptized, I had Billy find our box of thank you notes. I wasn't sure where it was, and he dug around for a while and came back with it. I opened the box to discover tons of envelopes labeled with names and cards in them. What happened here? I suddenly remembered that these were the thank you notes I had written soon after the babies were born to thank everyone who gave us stuff during the homestretch, at the hospital, and soon after we got the babies home. In my lack of sleep, drained of breast milk stupor, I must have put them aside, thinking I would mail them but never did. Way to go, Leslie!

I wasn't sure at that point what I should do. I thought it might be too weird to mail them because: a) I don't recall anything I wrote in any of them, and with the state of mind I was in, it could be anything, and b) is it totally weird to get a thank you months after sending a gift? At that point, you probably don't even remember giving the person anything.

I thought that maybe I should write a little note on the back of the envelopes saying "I wrote this soon after the babies were born. I don't remember what it says, and I'm sorry I didn't get it to you sooner, but thank you for the gift." I thought that would be awkward also because it's like saying, "I don't know what you gave me, but we probably used it by now. I don't know what we used it for, but I'm sure it worked." That doesn't seem like a proper thank you.

I decided to write a post here instead. I figured most of the folks who gave us gifts during that time probably read this blog, and I could give them a good explanation of what happened. Therefore, if you did not receive a thank you note from me for something you gave me, please understand that I am incredibly thankful for whatever it was you gave the babies and/or me. I used everything. I returned very few things, and even if I returned something, I got Babies R Us credit, which I've used to buy diapers, food, wipes, etc. Your gift and/or meal was appreciated, but more than that, I am so thankful that you thought of us!

I apologize for my rudeness, but I'm hoping that Year 1 in the life of the triplets entitles me to a "free pass" on being rude. I may not answer e-mails, phone calls, texts, evites, etc. It's not because I'm avoiding you. It's because my life is so full of insanity, that I don't even want to drag you into it. I don't know when things will slow down, but when/if they do, I can't wait to gather my thoughts, stop being rude, and reconnect with friends. When will these kids start preschool already?

No comments:

Contributors