Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, August 1, 2008

First really bad night

It's the first of many to come, but we had our first terrible night on Monday. Will and Marie projectile vomited a couple of times, and we didn't know what was going on. We called the pediatrician's office, and they said that if the vomiting didn't subside, we should go to the emergency room. Obviously, I was panicked about that scenario.

The nurse recommended that I only breastfeed the babies, since breast milk is easier to digest. She also suggested that I feed every hour, but only enough to satiate them, not fill them up. Billy and I decided to sleep in the family room with the kids in the pack 'n play so we could stay close and monitor any problems.

Well, the babies cried almost all night. They were hungry and wanted to eat more every time I fed them. I felt awful each time I had to pull one off my breast as they were sucking away. I felt like I was starving my little people. They were so pitiful.

The good news is that they did not throw up any more the whole night, which meant we didn't have to go to the hospital. The next morning, I resumed their normal feeding schedule, and they did just fine with it. It took about 1/2 the day to get them back to every 3 hours, but we did it. My dad came over and helped me, and he spent Tuesday night with us. He's our Tuesday/Thursday night nurse now.

Speaking of night nurses, Vivian is our Sunday one. She spent her first Sunday with us last weekend, and when she went to get in bed, she found a surprise waiting for her-Winnie! I think Winnie has been feeling neglected by me and Billy since the babies arrived, and she sticks like glue to whoever comes over to help with the babies. Vivian was the victim of the day. I was in the kids' room, and I could hear Vivian talking to Winnie. She was asking her to "please move" and "scoot over." When I walked in the room, Vivian was pushed up against one side of the bed with Winnie sprawled out on the rest of it. She said, "Could you do something about the dog? I've got half my ass hanging off the bed!" Billy pushed Winnie to the side, and they were able to sleep happily ever after...at least until each of the night feedings.

No comments:

Contributors